Monday, May 4, 2015

Single Shot Monday | Boston wedding photographer

I've always loved this image. And I say always because this is an oldie but in my mind a great example of something I consider truly classic and timeless. As I was searching around on my computer over the weekend I came across a folder I created for potential photographs to hang in my home showroom. I get such enjoyment from going back through my old work. It's not only a learning experience, but I also get a sense of nostalgia and accomplishment with reliving those moments and favorite photographs captured.

This is from a wedding I shot in downtown Boston a few years ago and I have a beautiful 16x24 metal print of it hanging in my showroom. I'm not certain who's advice it was but someone once said that by printing and living with a photograph for a while, you can tell whether it will stand the test of time. Do you feel the same way about it you did when you first put it on the wall? Can you still feel the excitement or anticipation as when you had the idea, visualized the image in your mind and captured it?

We had a few minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to begin and also had this large room with floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Not really my favorite lighting situation, it was bouncing all around and didn't have a ton of direction to it. A strong direction of light can really help create depth, dimension and mood in a photograph. And in those situations I always try and simplify. Simple and striking images are always some of my favorites. I loved the view and had the idea of the bride and her white dress juxtaposed again the city view and a whole lot of negative dark space. We closed as many of the drapes in the room as we could, asked the bride to stand up on the small window ledge and this is the resulting image. Besides the obvious beauty of the bride I think it says a lot about her elegance, classic look and pure timelessness that weddings can be. Maybe it's my fine art background that loves simplicity but to me it doesn't get much better than this.



- Randall

No comments:

Post a Comment